Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What I was totally sure I would never ever do ...

(Jodi this is for you)


I hope everyone is enjoying the amazing sunshine and still 9 celsius out in the positive. I love the sun!!!!


I thought today's blog would be something I was convinced was never going to happen: a recipe


I am known to be most diverse, and feel at home in almost all settings. Unfortunately the kitchen is not one of them. However, I LOVE food and I am very particular as to what I eat, the tastes, the ingredients, the quality, the overall experience.  These factors do limit me some, and have forced me to get creative in my own kitchen. No, have not burned it down yet...but yes if anyone wonders what to get me for Christmas, a few new sets of kitchen appliances are sure winners.  


What also have made me a wizard of kitchen creations is having been an athlete and competitor for years, I never settled for the idea of boiled chicken breast and the no-dressing salad greens.  I AM NOT A BUNNY!!!!!!  THAT is not a way to living, only to cause metabolic damage in the long run - let's leave that to another blog. 


Over these years, I always wanted to, and ensured to, eat in a fashion that would give me the nutritional value my body required and was still delicious.  Did I mention how much I love tastes, richness and real aromas of delicious foods.  Last, I do not support eating powders and bars. I love food. I want to eat food. Our bodies are built to on strive food. Good food. 


These factors have sent me wondering in the kitchen with my non-existent apron and let Chef Monika begin...


Here is firsts: an easy, quick, healthy, delicious and nutritious lunch:


ASIAN CRUNCH SALAD:


2 cups mixed greens (I used sliced baby carrots, ice berg and romaine lettuce, shaved purple and white cabbages)
1-2 tsp roasted almond slivers
2 tsp RenĂ©e's Gourmet Japanese Ginger Vinaigrette
6 organic fresh egg-whites
Fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste


Toss the greens in a salad bowl, and set aside. 


Heat a frying pan over medium heat, quickly roast the almond slivers - this brings out the taste. Just as the edges darken, remove from heat.  


Egg whites: hard boil eggs the night before, so they cool and firm by mid day. They are also a lot easier to peel when left in the fridge over night. Separate the egg whites and slice them (discard yolk). Place over the mixed greens. Top with almonds, add salt and pepper. 


*Can substitute egg whites for any lean protein of your choice, i.e. grilled chicken breast, or grilled shrimp etc
*For more variety and nutritional goodness, throw 1-2 tsp pineapple dices on top as well


Quick, easy, delicious, nutritious, and different.


Bon appetite.


Until next time....


Monika




MonikaKovacs©2009

No comments: