Tuesday, November 23, 2010

52 weeks of bodily bliss, week 43: Grandma + chicken breast

I lost my grandma last weekend, an in credible journey with one of the strongest women I have ever known in my life. Our mission in the physical form had a unique road to the ‘end’ yet remarkable. Amazing how a few strokes of a person’s brush over another’s character forever marks their destiny. She was THAT for me.

When we think of healthy eating, and of the top choices in lean protein, first vote usually goes for chicken breast.  Organic of course.  100 g has about 27 g protein for those interested, with very negligible fat content.

Today, I eat less and less meat; something about my being desires more ‘easy’ and ‘alive’ food for my digestive system.  Still, as athlete and former mega-meat-eater, I had chicken breast on the top of my list, as the meat of my choice.

Many would think that this is because of what I do, and that I ‘represent’ what I preach. The truth is that I lucked out.  My grandma had her own organic chicken farm behind the house, I spent a lot of my time growing up in.  One of the 'lucky ones' always ended up on the Sunday dinner table, when the family gathered.  Sunday dinner at grandmas was always of poultry.  As in many cultures, the dark meat, the juicier pieces found owners fastest, leaving the more dry and dense meat of the breast to the dogs and cats most times. 

My grandma was always the one left with the mega meats of the whites.  She didn’t need more than little ‘ole me, to grab a hold of early enough to train well lol.  She would seat me on her lap and make me believe we were the coolest pair of cats eating nothing but white meat  :)  I still recall being so small, about 4-6 years old, chewing on a big piece of meat that felt too dry (even though was from the soup she had made earlier that day from scratch), that it took me many-many minutes to chew my first little teeth through.  I can still see her happy face encouraging me to like it.  I can still hear the happy sounds she made…and her cheeks I can still recall rounding upwards on each side with her smiling :)
It came to me the other day as I contemplated her, now that she is gone, that she actually got me started with liking white meat, or chicken breast; which became my ‘signature’ choice in the family.  Later also followed as a staple lean meat/protein source in my diet…helped me to many many wins too :)

Even thought my dietary choices today are a lot different, this I thought was a cute story to share. Love, Life, and Chicken Breast.

Rest in Peace Grandma :)

Love always…

1 comment:

onwardandupward said...

I AM saddened that you lost your grandmother Monika. My sincere condolences to you and your family. The bond between you and your grandma was strong I bet, Christmas time will challenging for you with her passing.

I just lost my aunt who was 92, she was an important person to me when I was a young boy. She was a great lady, I AM thankful for the memories. She taught my sister and I the sport of curling.

All the best in the new year,

Peter Horrill